Kanso (簡素) refers to the simplicity or elimination of clutter. It is an expression in a plain, simple, and natural manner. A philosophy that serves as a reminder for us that there is clarity achieved through the omission of the non-essential. It is a mindset to be adopted and cultivated from meaningful spaces.
We aim to help our customers cultivate a state of mindfulness starting at their homes. We offer meaningful and sustainable products, each with a specific history, place, and purpose.
FROM WASTE TO RESOURCE
Each piece has been designed to encourage others to not only think in terms of decoration but in terms of purpose and intent. This idea extends to how we repurpose agricultural byproducts and recycled plastics to manufacture our pots. Using byproducts such as coffee bean husk, bamboo fibre, wheat husk and recycled plastics, we are able to transform useless and unwanted materials into products with a functional purpose. We mix these with resin that is free of toxic chemicals such as phenol and formaldehyde to create our durable pots. With this process we are able to extract raw materials from production streams and reduce the need for new resources. By finding sustainable methods to reuse waste materials we can also contribute to creating a more circular economy. In doing so, create new jobs and opportunities while remedying the environmental devastation caused by these harmful materials.
We know that operating a business is not always 100% sustainable. With that being said, we are constantly making an effort to be a responsible brand and working steadily to change our practices to do more good than harm. Below are some of our key initiatives to reduce waste and ensure that our activities are prioritizing environmental sustainability.
- Use packaging that is made out of recycled materials and biodegradable like our starch-based peanuts that can be dissolved in water.
- Reduce single use plastics in packaging or retail stores.
- Evaluate our factories' social and environmental practices with quality standards, business requirements, and audits.
- Use sustainable methods to reuse waste materials in our products.
- Use non-toxic chemicals such as resin that is free of phenol and formaldehyde.
- Remove harmful chemical dyes and adhesives from our products.
- Collaborate with more local suppliers to lower greenhouse gas emissions from transportation.
- Improve the transparency of our operations and manufacturing processes through detailed reports and content.
- Increased local community involvement to raise awareness for the importance of environmental accountability.
- Work together with local recycling programs to create better systems to recycle plastic and develop a more circular economy.
We appreciate you taking the time to read this. If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions on how we can improve let us know. We want to know your thoughts!